Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Digging Holes to Become Good Boys? I don't think so.. (First Impressions 2)


          
            ‘You are to dig hole each day, including Saturdays and Sundays.

              …
            You thirsty?Well you better get used to it.You’re going to be thirsty 
            for the next eighteen months.
                   
         
These quotations are from the part, where ‘Mr. Sir’ explains Stanley the rules of Camp Green Lake. While reading this part I felt really bad for these boys. Because they are nearly at my age and I can’t even imagine myself in this situation, digging holes everyday in the hot sun. Even though they are all there for the bad crimes they have committed (well, actually Stanley didn’t even commit a crime) I’m not sure if it’s a good way to make them ‘useful and hardworking members of society.’ If you take thesebad boys and isolate them it will probably make them asocial.  Separating them from the community would make them feel estranged. Doing this to these young boys could cause big problems in their future life and it could cause big traumas in their souls. Of course I am not an expert and I can’t understand the situation exactly without any experience but this is how I see it.



Here is the trailer of a little play made out of 'Holes' by Northwestern University. You can see the characters in the book here.


(215 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment